- 2 salted herrings (soaked for at least 12 hours, up to 24)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 small white onion, sliced in rings
- 1 carrot peeled and cut in thin disks
- 1 -inch fresh ginger root, sliced thinly
Drain the herring and pat dry. Fillet the herring and cut fillets into 2-inch strips. In a saucepan bring the water, sugar, vinegar, bay leaves, mustard seeds, and peppercorns to a boil. Remove from the heat and add onions, carrots and ginger slices. Cool completely, then pour over the herring fillets arranged in a non-reactive dish or jar. Cover well and refrigerate overnight or up to 3 days before using.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.