- 1 quart chicken stock
- 5 sprigs thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds baking potatoes, like russets
- 1/2 pound yellow onions
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 baked potato
- 12 ounces Cheddar, shredded
- 4 tablespoons sour cream, for garnish
- 4 tablespoons scallions, for garnish
- 4 tablespoons bacon, cooked and crumbled, for garnish
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
In a heavy 1 1/2-gallon stock pot, heat the chicken stock. Add thyme, salt, and pepper.
In a food processor, puree raw potatoes and onions. Add to stock. Simmer slowly for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Add whipping cream and diced baked potatoes. (If soup becomes too thick, thin with water).
To serve, ladle 8 ounces of hot soup into an oven proof serving bowl or slow cooker. Top with 2 to 3 ounces of shredded cheddar cheese. Place under the broiler for 4 to 6 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Place on plate. Top with 1 tablespoon sour cream, 1 tablespoon diced scallions, and 1-tablespoon bacon, and serve.
Recipe courtesy Alexander?s Cafe, Lake Tahoe, CA
Recipe courtesy of Doreen Fang