Pumpernickel Pastrami Panini with Rosemary-Ale Jus
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 3/4 cups beef broth
- 3/4 cup dark beer
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 1/2 cups thinly sliced yellow onion
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced apple
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces shaved pastrami
- 8 slices pumpernickel bread
- 4 ounces thinly sliced sharp white Cheddar
To make the rosemary-ale jus, melt 1 tablespoon butter in a medium sized saucepan, over medium-low heat; whisk in beef broth, beer, garlic, rosemary, onion powder and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and allow to simmer.
In a large cast iron skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Stir in onion, apple, salt and the additional 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and cook for 7 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently, until light golden brown and tender; remove from skillet and set aside.
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in same skillet; place 2 sandwiches in pan, place the bottom of a heavy skillet on top, and press down to flatten. Cook for 2 minutes, flip, press down with heavy skillet again, and cook an additional 2 minutes, or until crisp. Repeat process with remaining 1 tablespoon butter and additional 2 sandwiches; slice sandwiches in half, diagonally. Divide rosemary-ale jus into 4 small bowls, and serve with panini for dipping.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of Emily Hobbs
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray