If you don't have cooked chicken on hand, try Rachael's Poached Chickens recipe.
- EVOO, for drizzling
- 4 ounces deli-cut good-quality smoky bacon, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup organic ketchup
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup Grade A maple syrup
- 1/4 cup grainy Dijon mustard
- About 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- About 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Coarse black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 crisp apples, such as gala or honey crisp or golden delicious, sliced
- 1 large red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- A little freshly grated nutmeg
- About 3 cups poached chicken, pulled
- Hard rolls, split
- Grated white sharp Cheddar, for topping
- Sliced dill or bread and butter pickles, for topping
Heat a drizzle of EVOO in a saucepot over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and brown to crisp. Then add the garlic and onions and stir to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the ketchup, stock, syrup, mustard, Worcestershire, vinegar and pepper. Stir and simmer to thicken, 20 minutes.
Heat a drizzle of EVOO in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the butter and melt. Add the apples and red onions. Season with some salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook to tender-crisp, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the chicken and sauce and combine. Cool and store for a make-ahead meal. Reheat over medium heat and serve the BBQ chicken, apples and onions on the rolls topped with cheese and pickles.