Arugula Salad with Shallot Vinaigrette and Crostini
- Shallot vinaigrette:
- 2/3 cup (4 glugs) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 3 tablespoons (3 splashes) red wine vinegar
- 1 pound arugula greens, 2 bunches, washed and trimmed of stems
- Coarse salt and black pepper
- 12 slices baguette, 1/2-inch thick, day old bread works too
- 1/3 cup shallot oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs such as thyme, rosemary, parsley (dry herbs work too), chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
For the vinaigrette: Pour olive oil into a microwave safe dish. Add shallots to oil and place oil in microwave. Heat oil and shallots for 30 seconds on high. Remove from microwave and let stand 5 minutes. (Oil and shallots may be heated over low heat on the stovetop in a small pan for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand until cool.) Reserve 1/3 of a cup of the shallot oil for the crostini. Pour oil and shallots in a bowl and whisk in 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar.
For crostini: Cut day old or frozen bread into rounds 1/4-inch thick. Char grill or broil toasts on each side. Dot toasts with your infused shallot oil. Top toasts with chopped herbs, black pepper and grated cheese. Broil toasts until cheese is golden brown, 45 seconds to 1 minute.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.