Cleopatra's Chicken Salad
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken tenders or boneless breast meat
- 2 tablespoons (2 turns around the pan) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon (a couple of pinches) crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup (a generous splash) dry white wine
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- A handful of chopped flat leaf parsley
- Coarse salt and black pepper
- Caesar Greens:
- 1 (2 ounce) tin anchovy, drained
- 4 large cloves garlic, cracked away from skins and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons (several drops) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup pasteurized cholesterol-free egg product, available on dairy aisle
- Coarsely ground black pepper, to your taste
- 1/2 cup (a couple of handfuls) grated Parmigiano
- 2 large heads romaine lettuce, trimmed to hearts and coarsely chopped
If you are using chicken breasts instead of tenders, cut into long, thick strips about 4 per breast.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil in a slow steady stream. Add crushed pepper, crushed garlic, and chicken tenders. Saute chicken tenders or breast slices in garlic oil until lightly browned on all sides, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add wine to the pan and reduce heat to medium low. Let the liquid cook out and tenders cook through, about 3 to 4 minutes more, then remove pan from heat. Squeeze lemon juice over chicken and sprinkle with parsley salt and pepper. Pile tenders along side a generous portion of Caesar greens and serve.Caesar Greens:
To make dressing, combine anchovies, garlic, and oil in a metal or heatproof glass bowl. Place bowl on grill top and cover grill. Cook oil mixture 2 or 3 minutes or until garlic is speaking by sizzling in oil. Remove dressing from heat and beat warm oil with a fork until the anchovies break up completely and dissipates in oil. Cooked anchovies melt away easily and the flavor changes from fishy to nutty. Transfer oil mixture to a large salad bowl. Add Worcestershire, lemon juice, egg, pepper, and cheese while beating with fork. Toss greens to coat with dressing.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.