Egg Foo Young
- EVOO, for brushing
- 12 eggs
- 4 ounces thinly sliced deli chicken, turkey, ham or roast beef, finely chopped
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts
- 1 cup shredded baby bok choy
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced on an angle
- 1/4 red bell pepper, very thinly sliced
- One 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated, plus 2 thin slices
- 1 large clove garlic, grated or made into a paste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup tamari (aged soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Preheat a griddle over medium heat and brush it with some oil.
Whisk the eggs in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the chicken, mushrooms, bean sprouts, bok choy, carrots, scallions, bell pepper, grated ginger and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
Using a large spoon, drop about 1/2 cup of the mixture onto the griddle for each "pancake". Cook until golden, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
Meanwhile, mix the cornstarch with a splash of chicken stock to dissolve. Combine the remaining stock, the cornstarch mixture, tamari, hot sauce and sliced ginger in a small saucepan. Boil until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 3 minutes. Discard the sliced ginger.
Put 2 pancakes on each plate and top with the gravy.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray