Flat Iron Steaks with Great Green Sauce and Nutty "Roni-N-Rice"
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup broken thin spaghetti or vermicelli pasta
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) slivered almonds
- 1 cup enriched white rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Steaks and Sauce:
- 4 (6 to 8-ounce) pieces Flat Iron steak, a tender but steaky, affordable cut of beef from the tip of the shoulder top blade, available from the butcher counter
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley
- 1 shallot, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 6 fillets anchovies
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, eyeball it
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Black pepper
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes, sliced
Preheat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add oil and butter. When butter melts, toast broken pasta and nuts for 2 to 3 minutes, until lightly golden. Add rice and stock, raise heat and bring liquid to a boil. Stir rice, cover pot and reduce heat to simmer. Cook rice 18 minutes, until tender. Add parsley and fluff with fork.
Preheat a griddle pan or large nonstick skillet to medium-high heat. Season steaks with salt and drizzle with a little extra-virgin olive oil. When pan is very hot, add meat and cook steaks 4 minutes on each side, medium rare, up to 6 or 7 minutes on each side, medium well. Medium rare is recommended for this cut of meat, similar to a hanger steak.
Place parsley, shallot, capers, anchovies in a food processor and grind. Scrape herb mix into a small bowl. Stir in Worcestershire sauce and vinegar and about 1 teaspoon of coarse black pepper, 1/3 palm full.
To serve, place steaks alongside a serving of rice. Top steaks with 1/4 of the sauce. Garnish plate with sliced tomatoes seasoned with salt and pepper.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Tre Colore Pesto and Grilled Steak with Quick Roasted Tomatoes and Garlic, Steak with Horseradish-Chive Sauce, Grilled Flank Steak with Mint-Cilantro Mojo and Grilled Carrots and Parsnips, Mexican Rice Recipes, Roast Beef Recipes, London Broil Recipes, Rice Casserole Recipes, Veal Chop Recipes, Pork Butt Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.