Grilled Split Kielbasa Reubens with Warm Mustard-Caraway Sauerkraut
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 pound sack sauerkraut, drained
- 1 cup beer or apple cider
- 1/4 cup spicy brown grainy mustard
- 2 sticks or 1 long folded link kielbasa or turkey kielbasa, 1 1/4 pounds
- 1/4 stick butter, softened
- 8 slices marble rye bread
- 8 slices Emmentaler or other Swiss cheese, deli sliced
- 1/2 cup sweet red pepper relish
Preheat a griddle pan to medium-high.heat.
Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Toast the seeds a couple of minutes then stir in sauerkraut, beer or cider, and mustard and simmer 10 minutes.
Cut kielbasa into 4 portions and split the sausage pieces in half across, opening them up. Grill the sausages on the hot griddle until crispy on both sides, about 7 to 8 minutes total. Wipe some of the grease off the griddle and drop heat to low.
Lightly butter 1 side of each slice of bread. Build butter-side-out sandwiches of grilled kielbasa, sauerkraut, and 2 slices of cheese; spread the top of each sandwich with red pepper relish before setting in place.
Grill the sandwiches on the griddle until crispy. Cut and serve.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.