Lemon Pepper Cured Chicken with Fennel Salad
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, optional
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast (6 to 8 ounces each)
- Olive oil
- Fennel Salad:
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Salt and pepper
- 3 to 4 tablespoons EVOO
- 1/2 cup celery leaves/tops
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves
- 1 bundle arugula, coarsely chopped
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed and very thinly sliced plus a small handful of fronds
- Parmigiano-Reggiano, for shaving
For the chicken: Combine the rosemary, thyme, zest, sugar, salt, fennel seeds, garlic, onion and pepper. Then rub the mixture evenly into the chicken pieces, coating both sides. Place the chicken in a plastic food storage bag and chill several hours or overnight.
To serve, heat a turn of the pan olive oil in a skillet, griddle pan or grill over medium-high heat. If using griddle or grill wipe with the oil then add the chicken. Cook the chicken 12 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove from the heat let rest a few minutes, then slice.
For the salad: While chicken is cooking, whisk up the lemon juice and honey, season with salt and pepper, and whisk in the EVOO. Combine the parsley, celery, arugula, fennel and fronds. Dress the salad and toss to coat. Then, using a vegetable peeler, add lots of cheese curls to the salad.
Serve the salad in shallow bowls and top with sliced chicken breast.
Get Rachael's shopping list for this episode's recipes here.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay