Rice and Beans, Spanish Style
- 1 red bell pepper
- EVOO, for drizzling
- 12 ounces Spanish chorizo, diced into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup broken spaghetti
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 healthy pinch saffron (about 24 threads)
- 1 quart chicken stock
- Kosher salt
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 to 2 red Fresno chile peppers, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or 1/2 cup white wine
- One 15-ounce can white beans or chickpeas, drained
- 1 small bundle black or Tuscan kale, stripped and chopped or shredded
- Freshly grated nutmeg
Place the red pepper over a gas flame on the stovetop to char it or blacken it under the broiler. Then place in a bowl and cover. Once cool, peel, seed and chop.
Heat a drizzle of EVOO in a Dutch oven or deep skillet. Add the chorizo and render for a few minutes.
Meanwhile, heat a drizzle of EVOO and the butter in a saucepot over medium heat. Add the pasta to the pot and toast to golden. Add the rice and saffron and about 2 1/2 cups of the chicken stock. Bring to a boil and sprinkle with salt. Cover the pot and cook the rice to tender, 17 to 18 minutes.
Add the garlic, chiles and onions to the chorizo and cook to tender, 7 to 8 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and deglaze the pan with the sherry. Next, add the beans, roasted peppers, kale, 1 cup of the chicken stock and a few grates of nutmeg and cover to wilt the greens.
Serve the rice in shallow bowls and top with the sausage and beans.
Cook's Note: Use the remaining 1/2 cup stock if the rice cooks too quickly or the chorizo and beans get too dry.