Southwest Turkey Burgers
- 8 slices turkey bacon or turkey bacon with black pepper or applewood smoked bacon
- 1 1/3 pounds ground turkey breast, the average weight of 1 package
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large shallot or 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves, optional - parsley may be substituted
- 1/2 small bell pepper, green, red or yellow, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 serrano or jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons, 2/3 palm full, ground cumin
- 1 to 2 teaspoons cayenne hot sauce, several drops (recommended: Tabasco)
- 2 teaspoons grill seasoning blend (recommended: Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick)
- Vegetable oil or olive oil, for drizzling
- 1/2 pound deli sliced pepper jack cheese
- 4 crusty kaiser rolls, split
- 1 cup sweet red pepper relish, found on condiment aisle - pepper jelly may be substituted
- Red leaf lettuce
- Spicy O-nuts, recipe follows
Chop your garlic and veggies.
Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat until crisp. Wipe excess grease from pan and return skillet to heat.
While bacon cooks, combine turkey meat, garlic, shallot or onion, thyme, cilantro or parsley, bell pepper, serrano or jalapeno pepper, cumin, hot pepper sauce, grill seasoning or salt and pepper. Divide mixture into 4 equal mounds then form meat into patties. Drizzle patties with vegetable oil to coat. Cook in skillet over medium high heat for 5 to 6 minutes on each side. Place sliced cheese over the patties in the last 2 minutes of cooking, use 1 or 2 slices for each patty, as you like.
Pile cooked cheeseburgers into buns. Spread sweet relish or jelly on bun tops and set red leaf lettuce into place, using the relish or jelly as glue. Top cheeseburgers with 2 slices of cooked, crisp bacon or turkey bacon and lettluce. Then serve with tortilla chips, tossed salad and/or spicy o-nuts.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.