Spanish Style Pork Chops with Chorizo and Roasted Red Pepper Sauce and Green Beans
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan, plus some for drizzling
- 4 large, boneless center-cut pork chops, 1 1/2-inches thick
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika or smoked sweet paprika, half a palm full
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 pound chorizo, casing removed, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme leaves, 4 sprigs
- 1 (16-ounce) jar pequillo peppers or roasted red peppers, drained
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, a couple of generous handfuls
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or dry white wine, eyeball it
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed, available ready-prepped in sacks at many markets
- 1 lemon
- Marcona almonds or sliced almonds toasted in butter, your choice
- Cheesy Rice, recipe follows, optional
- Crusty bread, to pass at table
- Manchego Cheesy Rice:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups white rice
- 3 cups chicken stock
- Handful flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup grated Manchego cheese
- Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high to high heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan. Season the chops with paprika, salt, and pepper. Place chops in skillet and sear meat to caramelize, about 2 minutes each side. Transfer the chops to a cookie sheet and place in the oven to finish off, 8 to 10 minutes, or until meat is firm to touch, but not tough. Remove from the oven and let the chops rest covered with a piece of aluminum foil for a few minutes.
While the chops are in the oven, return the skillet to the cook top over medium heat. Add the diced chorizo and cook stirring frequently for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, onion, thyme, salt, and pepper. Cook meat and onions for about 3 minutes.
Bring 1 to 2 inches of water to a boil in another skillet with a lid.
Grind the peppers and parsley in a food processor until smooth. Add the sherry or wine to the sausage and onions and stir, then stir in the ground peppers. Cook another minute or 2 or until the peppers are heated through.
Place a chop on each dinner plate and top with the chorizo-roasted pepper sauce. Serve with green beans, garnished with Marcona or toasted almonds, Cheesy Rice and/or crusty bread, for plate-mopping.Manchego Cheesy Rice:
Melt butter over medium heat in a medium sauce pot. Add rice and toast in butter 2 minutes. Add stock and bring rice up to a boil. Cook rice 17 to 18 minutes until tender and liquids are absorbed. Remove from heat, fluff rice with fork, then stir in the parsley and cheese. Season the rice with salt and pepper, to taste.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ease of preparation: easy
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray