Turkey Chipotle Chili with Pepper Jack Cheese Corn Cake Toppers
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, corn oil or vegetable oil
- 2 pounds ground turkey breast
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 rounded tablespoon chili powder, a palm full
- 2 chipotles in adobo, chopped, found on Spanish/Mexican foods aisle or, 1/2 cup hot chipotle salsa may be substituted
- 1 cup Mexican beer
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (28-ounce) can chopped stewed tomatoes
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (8 1/2-ounce) package corn muffin mix (recommended: Jiffy Mix) prepared to directions on box for corn cakes
- 1 1/2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese, 8 ounces
- 2 tablespoons butter
Heat deep skillet or wide pot over medium high heat. Add oil and turkey. Crumble meat as it cooks, 3 minutes. Add the onions and garlic, chili powder, and chipotle. Cook another 5 minutes. Season with salt. Add beer and cook another minute, stirring to loosen any bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the stock, tomatoes, and beans and bring to a bubble. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
Heat a nonstick griddle pan over medium high heat. Mix batter and cheese together. Rub grill with butter, nesting the butter in a paper towel to hold on to it. Ladle the batter to make 3-inch cheese and corn cakes. Cook 3 minutes on each side, until golden. Transfer them to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
Serve bowls of chili with cheese-corn toppers -- like a spicy, corn topped chili pot pie.