Turkey Cutlets with Gravy and Raw Stuffing Salad
- 4 pieces turkey breast cutlet, pounded 1/4-inch thick
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- Flour, for dredging
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
- A couple handfuls fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 3 to 4 ribs celery from the heart with leafy tops, finely chopped
- 4 scallions, whites and greens, chopped
- 1 Gala or Golden Delicious apple, chopped
- 1/4 pound small button mushrooms, wiped clean and very thinly sliced
- 2 lemons
- 5 to 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball the amount
- 4 thin slices brioche or challah, toasted
- Softened butter, for toast, plus 3 tablespoons for gravy
- 3 to 4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves stripped and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cloudy apple cider
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups turkey stock or chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Season the turkey with salt and pepper and poultry seasoning. Set up a breading station of flour, then egg then bread crumbs. Bread cutlets and reserve them.
Combine parsley, celery, scallions, apple, mushrooms and dress with salt, pepper, the juice of 2 lemons, 3 tablespoons olive oil. Butter toasted bread then chop into 1/4 inch dice. Toss bread and thyme into salad. Dampen the stuffing salad a bit with apple cider or juice and toss to combine.
Melt 3 tablespoons of butter over medium heat in medium saucepan. Add flour and cook 1 minute then whisk in stock, season with salt and pepper and Worcestershire and thicken stock a few minutes over medium-low heat.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook cutlets 10 minutes turning once. If the pan is too small to cook all 4, reserve 2 under foil and add another tablespoon olive oil and cook off remaining cutlets.
Serve cutlets on raw stuffing salad and top with warm gravy.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray, 2008
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray