- 4 pieces turkey breast cutlet, pounded 1/4-inch thick
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- Flour, for dredging
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
- A couple handfuls fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 3 to 4 ribs celery from the heart with leafy tops, finely chopped
- 4 scallions, whites and greens, chopped
- 1 Gala or Golden Delicious apple, chopped
- 1/4 pound small button mushrooms, wiped clean and very thinly sliced
- 2 lemons
- 5 to 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball the amount
- 4 thin slices brioche or challah, toasted
- Softened butter, for toast, plus 3 tablespoons for gravy
- 3 to 4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves stripped and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cloudy apple cider
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups turkey stock or chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Season the turkey with salt and pepper and poultry seasoning. Set up a breading station of flour, then egg then bread crumbs. Bread cutlets and reserve them.
Combine parsley, celery, scallions, apple, mushrooms and dress with salt, pepper, the juice of 2 lemons, 3 tablespoons olive oil. Butter toasted bread then chop into 1/4 inch dice. Toss bread and thyme into salad. Dampen the stuffing salad a bit with apple cider or juice and toss to combine.
Melt 3 tablespoons of butter over medium heat in medium saucepan. Add flour and cook 1 minute then whisk in stock, season with salt and pepper and Worcestershire and thicken stock a few minutes over medium-low heat.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook cutlets 10 minutes turning once. If the pan is too small to cook all 4, reserve 2 under foil and add another tablespoon olive oil and cook off remaining cutlets.
Serve cutlets on raw stuffing salad and top with warm gravy.