Turkey Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds ground turkey or chopped leftover turkey
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 onion, cut into 1-inch dice
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups turkey or chicken stock (recommended: Kitchen Basics brand)
- A few dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (10-ounce) box frozen peas
- 1 very ripe banana
- A few dashes hot sauce
- 2 cups shredded sharp yellow Cheddar
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Place sweet potatoes in a pot, cover with water, cover pot, bring to a boil, salt and cook 15 minutes until tender.
Grate onions and carrots into the turkey. Add the celery and stir, cook 5 minutes. While vegetables are cooking, heat 2 tablespoons butter in a small pot over medium heat. Add flour to melted butter and whisk 1 minute then whisk in stock and season with salt, pepper and Worcestershire. Thicken a few minutes.
Stir the gravy into the turkey mixture. Stir peas into meat and turn heat off.
Drain potatoes and return pot to heat. Add remaining butter and melt over medium heat. Peel and slice banana and add potatoes to the pot. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper and a few dashes hot sauce. Mash potatoes and banana to combine, adjust seasoning. Top the meat with the potatoes. Cover potatoes with cheese and set in oven. Bake to melt cheese, 5 minutes.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray, 2007
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray
Recipe courtesy of Robin Miller