Good Morning Muffins
- Muffin Batter:
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- Generous 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups sweet orange marmalade (use 2 cups if you like the bitter marmalade taste, less if you don't)
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 whole eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Wheat germ, for sprinkling
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
For the muffin batter: Sift together the flour, granulated sugar and baking powder. Place the flour mixture in a mixing bowl. Use a pastry cutter to mix in the butter and shortening.
Mix the marmalade, orange juice and vanilla in a small bowl. Pour the marmalade mixture into the flour mixture. Pour the eggs into the bowl. Mix all ingredients together gently, using fewer than 10 large strokes.
For the topping: Mix the granulated sugar, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a small bowl.
Fill muffin pans with batter. Sprinkle 1 heaping teaspoon of topping ingredients over each muffin. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon wheat germ over the top for extra crunch if desired.
Bake until done, 20 to 22 minutes. Remove the muffins from the pan and cool on a wire rack. Eat warm or at room temperature.
2012 Ree Drummond, All Rights Reserved