Ice Cream Topped with Applesauce and Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Applesauce, recipe follows
- 2 to 3 scoops vanilla or caramel (or both) ice cream
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- Whipped cream, for topping, optional
- 6 pounds mixed apple varieties (Gala, Honeycrisp, Golden Delicious), peeled, cored and cut into eighths
- 1 cup apple juice or water
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Warm the Applesauce on the stove or in a microwave. Place the ice cream in a dish. Top with the Applesauce, sprinkle with cinnamon and top with whipped cream if desired.Applesauce:
Throw the apples, apple juice and lemon juice into a pan and bring it to the boil over medium-high heat. Lower the heat and simmer until the apples are soft, about 15 minutes. Stir through the sugar and mix until melted. Add the cinnamon and stir through.
Yield: 6 to 7 cups
Blending Hot Liquids: When blending hot liquids, remove liquid from the heat and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes. Transfer liquid to a blender or food processor and fill it no more than halfway. If using a blender, release one corner of the lid; that prevents the vacuum effect that creates heat explosions. Place a towel over the top of the machine, pulse a few times, then process on high speed until smooth.