Caribbean Rice and Beans
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 Scotch bonnet pepper, seeded and diced (while handling, protect your hands and eyes, and avoid breathing fumes)
- 2 (16-ounce) cans black beans (or your choice of beans), rinsed clean
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup dry rice
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- Hot sauce, to taste (recommended: Tabasco)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a large skillet. Gently saute onions, garlic and hot peppers, then add beans and vinegar and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the rice to the beans, then stir in stock, reduce heat, and simmer until rice is cooked, about 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in parsley, chives, hot sauce, salt, and pepper and serve.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.