Pork Osso Bucco
- 6 pork shanks, 12 to 16 ounces each
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 3 tablespoons salt and pepper, equal blend, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 cup small-diced carrots
- 1/2 cup small-diced celery
- 1/2 cup small-diced onions
- 4 cups prepared veal stock or sauce
- 2 cups red wine, such as cabernet
- 2 sticks (1/2 pound) butter, softened
- Seasonal vegetables or pasta, for serving
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
Drizzle the shanks with the oil and sprinkle with the salt and pepper blend, ensuring the seasoning is even. Next, place the shanks, mirepoix (carrots, celery, onions), 2 cups veal stock and the red wine in a roasting pan. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 2 hours.
Next, heat the simmered stock and remaining 2 cups veal stock over medium heat and slow simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter to finish. Serve with seasonal vegetables or pasta.