Shrimp with Lemon-Chive Tartar Sauce, Ditalini Salad with Mixed Peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds large or extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons minced sweet gherkins
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Cooked ditalini (1 pound)
- 2 cups diced roasted red peppers (from water-packed jar)
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/3 cup diced pickled jalapeno peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Season shrimp with salt, pepper and oregano. Place shrimp in hot pan (or stove-top grill pan) and cook 2 minutes per side, until opaque and cooked through.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, chives, gherkins, and lemon zest. Mix well and season to taste with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, combine ditalini, remaining olive oil, peppers, parsley, and vinegar. Toss to combine and season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Serve the ditalini salad with 1 1/4 pounds of the shrimp and all of the tartar sauce. Reserve extra shrimp (about 1/2 pound cooked) for another meal.
Copyright 2006, Robin Miller, All Rights Reserved