Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon gray sea salt, crushed or kosher salt
- Salted Caramel Variations, recipes follow
- Salted Caramel Milkshake:
- 1 pint vanilla bean ice cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup salted caramel sauce
In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the sugar and water over medium-low heat until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat and bring to a boil, without stirring. If necessary, use a wet pastry brush to wash down any crystals on the side of the pan. Boil until the syrup is a deep amber color, about 5 to 6 minutes.
*Cook's Note: The salted caramel sauce will keep in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks. Reheat before serving.
Uses for Salted Caramel Sauce:
Carmelitas: Attach a recipe for a classic carmelitas recipe to the jarred caramel sauce suggesting using the sauce in the recipe.
Salted Caramel Milkshake: Add the salted caramel sauce to basic vanilla milkshake recipe, recipe follows.Salted Caramel Milkshake:
Recipe courtesy of Kelsey Nixon