Coffee Angel Food Cake
- For the cake:
- 1 cup cold water plus 1 tablespoon
- 3 tablespoons Mexican coffee flavored liqueur (recommended: Kahlua)
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee (recommended: Folgers)
- 1 (16-ounce) box angel food cake mix (recommended: Betty Crocker)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder (recommended: Hershey's)
- For the icing:
- 1 (1-pound) box powdered sugar, sifted (recommended: C and H)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur
- For garnish:
- 1 orange, zested
Move oven rack to lowest position. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Add cake mix and cocoa powder and using an electric hand mixer, beat on low speed for 30 seconds; then beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Pour into an ungreased 10 by 4-inch tube pan. Bake in preheated oven for 37 to 47 minutes or until top is a dark golden brown, cracked, and not sticky.
Remove from oven and immediately turn pan upside down onto a bottle until cooled completely. Run knife around edges of pan and remove cake from pan.
For the icing: Whisk together all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl until smooth. Pour icing evenly over the top of the cake letting it run down the sides of the cake. Let icing set for 1 hour. Slice cake and serve garnished with orange zest.
Recipe courtesy Sandra Lee