French Toast filled with Strawberry Cream Cheese
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons strawberry preserves
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- French Toast:
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur (recommended: Grand Marnier)
- 8 slices Texas Toast style bread, challah, or other thick-sliced bread
- 1 recipe Strawberry Cream Cheese Sauce, recipe follows
In a small mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, strawberry preserves, and orange zest until smooth. Set aside.
In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and orange liqueur. Pour into a shallow bowl, such as a pie plate. Set aside.
With a pairing knife, slice a pocket into the side of the bread. Do not cut all of the way through the bread. Fill bread slices with a heaping spoonful of cream cheese mixture.
In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Dip the filled bread in the egg mixture and place in the skillet to brown on both sides, about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining slices.
Serve hot with additional Strawberry Cream Cheese on the side.Strawberry Cream Cheese Sauce:
1 cup frozen strawberries, thawed
1 pint sour cream
2 tablespoons orange liqueur (recommended: Grand Marnier)
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon honey
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
Add all ingredients to a blender and pulse to combine.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.