Next Day Empanadas
- 1/2 cup leftover mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup leftover green bean casserole
- 1 teaspoon Mexican seasoning
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 (15-ounce) box refrigerated pie crust (recommended: Pillsbury)
- 1 egg
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, set aside.
Unroll pie dough, 1 at a time. Use a 3-inch round cutter, dusted with flour and cut out as many rounds as possible (about 10 to 12) of the pie dough. Repeat with second pie dough.
Beat the egg lightly in a small bowl, set aside.
To assemble empanadas, fill the center of each round with 1/2 tablespoon of the mashed potatoes and green bean casserole mixture. Brush half of the perimeter of each dough round with the egg wash. Fold over 1 side of the round to make a half circle. Crimp the edges of each empanada with tines of a fork.
Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Recipe courtesy of Sandra Lee, 2008