Round 2 Recipe - Baked Falafel with Yogurt Sauce
- For Falafel:
- 2 cups leftover chick pea salad
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Nonstick cooking spray
- For Yogurt Sauce:
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Chick Pea Salad:
- 2 (19-ounce) cans chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley leaves
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place a baking sheet in to the oven.
Combine all falafel ingredients, including the chick pea salad, in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the blade attachment. Pulse mixture until coarsely ground.
Using your hands, form the falafel mixture into balls about the size of walnuts and set aside. If the falafel mixture sticks to your hands dip them in cold water in between rolling each ball.
Remove the baking sheet from the oven and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Place the falafel onto the sheet pan and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, turning halfway through the cooking, to brown on both sides.
Place on a serving platter and serve with yogurt sauce on the side.
For Yogurt Sauce:
Add all the sauce ingredients to a small bowl and combine well.Chick Pea Salad:
Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and toss to combine.
Recipe courtesy Sandra Lee 2009
Recipe courtesy of Sandra Lee