- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can less sodium beef broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen Italian vegetable blend
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen cheese tortellini
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat and add the onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Saute for 2 minutes, then add the beef broth and 3 cups of water. Add all of the remaining ingredients, except the tortellini. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer for 5 minutes. Add the tortellini and simmer until the tortellini are cooked, another 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Ladle into serving bowls and serve with Herb Focaccia, if desired.
Use the leftovers from this recipe to make Tortellini with Caramelized Onion & Bacon.