Seared Ahi Tuna Taco with Asian Slaw and Plum sauce
- For the Asian slaw:
- 1/4 head napa (Chinese) cabbage, chopped
- 1/4 cup small diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup small diced yellow bell pepper
- 1/4 small diced green bell pepper
- 1/4 small diced red onion
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 ounces sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated on microplane or small holes on box grater
- 1 piece star anise
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 (8-ounce) can plum halves, in syrup
- 1 (4-ounce) piece fresh ahi (yellowfin) tuna
- 1/4 cup coarse ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
DirectionsFor the plum sauce: For the taco shells:
For the Asian slaw:
Combine cabbage, peppers and onions in a medium sized mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, combine mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, 1 tablespoon sugar, sesame oil, and sesame seeds. Mix well and combine with cabbage and peppers to marinate for about 1/2 hour.
For the plum sauce:
Preheat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once pan is hot, add vegetable oil, garlic, ginger, and star anise. Saute for about 45 seconds, or until garlic has started to cook. Add 1/4 cup rice vinegar, 1/4 cup sugar, and canned plums. Continue to saute until all ingredients are soft and set aside to cool. Once cooled, puree plum mixture in a vertical blender and reserve for taco assembly.
For the Tuna:
Cut tuna into logs about 1-inch by 1-inch by 4-inches. Coat liberally with pepper and a little salt. Heat a saute pan until very hot; add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and the sear tuna on all sides for about 15 seconds per side. Make sure to just sear outside of tuna and not allow inside to cook. Remove from heat and refrigerate promptly. Once cooled, slice into 1/8-inch thick slices.
For Taco Assembly:
Fill each taco shell with a little Asian slaw, place a slice of tuna on top of slaw, and then drizzle with a little plum sauce. Enjoy!
Thank you! your flag was submitted.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Seared Tuna with Lemon-Wasabi Dressing and Hot Mustard Wonton Chips, Sixteen Spice Seared Tuna with Mustard Mint Sauce, Herb-Seared Tuna with Caponata and Warm Lemon Creme Fraiche, Chicken and Rice Recipes, Mexican Rice Recipes, Deviled Egg Recipes, Easy Dessert, Rice, Cherry