Shrimp and Potato Salad
- 8 to 10 as part of a selection
- 2 pounds small red potatoes, quartered
- 2 teaspoons salt,divided and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup extravirgin olive oil
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 small bunch oregano, leaves only, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Place the potatoes in a bowl and rinse them with slowly running cold water until the water runs clear. Place the potatoes in a saucepan and cover with fresh water. Add 1 teaspoon salt and bring up to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the potatoes are almost tender but not flaking. Drain in a colander.
In a heavy skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shrimp and saute for 2 minutes, tossing every 30 seconds or so. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes more, or until shrimps are pink. Do not overcook.
Transfer the shrimp to a large bowl and add the potatoes. Add the olive oil, shallots, oregano, capers, lemon juice, salt, and pepper and toss together until evenly mixed. Serve on tiny plates or in small ramekins.
c.1997, M.S. Milliken & S. Feniger, all rights reserved
Recipe courtesy of Sandra Lee