Shrimp Egg Foo Young
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 6 eggs
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced bamboo shoots
- 1/2 cup cooked small salad shrimp, or large dice medium cooked shrimp
- 2 tablespoons green onion tops, sliced, for garnish
Whisk the eggs in a bowl and mix in soy sauce, spices, drained cabbage mixture, and bamboo shoots.
Using a non-stick pan over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and heat. Ladle about 4 ounces of the cabbage mixture into the hot pan, as you would for pancakes, and sprinkle the small shrimp evenly on top of each. Cook for about 3 minutes, or until edges start to brown and when jiggled, it slides in the pan. Flip and cook another 2 to 3 minutes until cooked through. Garnish with scallions.
Cook's Note: If Egg Foo Young becomes brown too quickly, finish it by baking in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for a few minutes.
Recipe courtesy George Stella