Simple Green Salad with Herb Vinaigrette
- 4 cups romaine lettuce leaves
- 2 ounces cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into long rounds
- 4 celery stalks, cut into thirds lengthwise and then crosswise into 2 inch lengths
- 8 ounces yellow squash, julienned
- 4 whole carrots, scooped into small balls with the small side of the melon baller
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 ounces diced red onion
- Herb Vinaigrette, recipe follows
- 2 large corn tortillas
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Herb Vinaigrette:
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons peeled fresh garlic
- 8 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons chopped lemon zest
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (parsley, basil, marjoram, thyme)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Freshly ground black pepper
To make the salad: rinse the lettuce in chilled water. Remove from water, wrap in damp paper towels and refrigerate.
Marinate the cucumber, celery, squash, carrots, tomatoes, and onions, separately, with the herb vinaigrette. Cover each, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Slice the tortillas into 4-inch long, thin, triangular strips.
In a large pan, add 1/2-inch of oil and heat. When the oil is hot, fry the tortillas until they are crisp. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate, season, and let cool.
Place the lettuce in a large bowl. Add the marinated vegetables and toss with some more of the Herbed Vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper. Top with the crispy tortilla strips.Herb Vinaigrette:
To make the dressing: in a small food processor, combine all ingredients and blend for 45 seconds to 1 minute until emulsified. Yield: 4 servings
Recipe courtesy Scott Graves