Spicy Corn Frittata with Tomatoes and Scallions
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, cored, seeded, and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 large (or 3 medium) ears sweet corn, kernels scraped off the cob (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 bunch (6 to 8) scallions, trimmed and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- Coarse sea salt or kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
Set a rack on the top shelf of the oven and preheat to 450 degrees F.
In a large ovenproof skillet over high heat, warm 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the tomatoes and saute for 2 minutes. Add the corn, cilantro, scallions, garlic, and jalapeno and saute for 2 more minutes or until the garlic is fragrant and the mixture thickens. Transfer the vegetables to a plate and let cool for several minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
In a large bowl, season the eggs with salt and pepper. Beat them lightly with a fork, only enough to mix the whites and the yolks. Add the cooled vegetables and cold butter and stir to combine.
Wipe out the skillet with a paper towel and put it over medium heat. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, swirling it all around and up the sides of the pan. Add the egg and vegetable mixture and stir gently with the back of a fork without touching the bottoms and sides of the pan. Cover the pan, lower the heat, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the bottom of the frittata begins to set. Remove the cover and transfer the pan to the top shelf of the oven and bake until golden brown and puffed, about 15 minutes.
Slide the frittata onto a serving platter, cut it into wedges, and serve immediately or cool and serve at room temperature.Nutritional analysis per serving:
Calories 385; Total Fat 28g; (Sat Fat 7g, Mono Fat 15g, Poly Fat 3.5g) ; Protein 16.5g; Carb 22g; Fiber 4 g; Cholesterol 430 mg; Sodium 165 mg
Thank you! your flag was submitted.