- 3 to 4 pound tripe (be sure to include 1 piece of honeycomb)
- 6 garlic cloves, bruised but not peeled
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 28-ounce can white hominy
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
- 1 bunch cilantro, leaves chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 12 tomatillos, diced
Rinse tripe under cold running water and cut large pieces into 1inch squares.
Place the tripe in a large stock pot with 4 quarts of hot water, the bouquet garni, and salt. Bring to a boil and skim foam if necessary. Reduce the heat and cook at a simmer for 2 to 3 hours or until tripe is tender.
Add the canned hominy, liquid and all and the jalapenos. Cook 15 minutes longer. About 10 minutes before serving, add the cilantro, green onions, and tomatillos. Remove the bouquet garni.
Garnishes may include mild red chile sauce, ground chile powder, oregano leaves, chopped onions, or lime wedges, or sliced radishes.