Spicy Shrimp and Pork Meatballs with Rujak Sauce
- 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 green onions, diced
- 1 (2-inch) finger fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 to 2 serrano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons tamari sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 1 mango, peeled and flesh chopped
- 1 star fruit, chopped
- 1 Asian pear, seeds removed and chopped
- 3 tablespoons palm sugar or piloncillo (Mexican brown sugar)
- 1/4 cup tamarind juice, or 2 tablespoons tamarind paste dissolved in 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Rujak is a spicy mixed fruit salad found throughout Indonesia. Here I puree it to make a sweet and spicy sauce for meatballs.
For the meatballs: Add the shrimp, onions, ginger, garlic, peppers and pork to a large mixing bowl. Stir in the egg, tamari, cilantro, lime zest and juice and mix together until well combined. Form the mixture into balls using a disher (scoop). Heat the oil to a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the balls until a good crust forms, before turning, about 2 minutes.
Put a little of the sauce into a serving bowl and top with the meatballs. Serve with bowls of sauce on the side, and a container of toothpicks.
Cook's Note: Can't find star fruit? Substitute a can of drained pineapple pieces.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs cannot make representation as to the results.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Smash - Spicy Pork Meatballs with Spicy Pork Sauce, Vietnamese BBQ Pork Meatballs (Nem Nuong), Pork and Shrimp Spring Roll (Goi Cuon) with Peanut Sauce (Nuoc Leo), Grilled Pork Chop Recipes, Shrimp Salad Recipes, Pork Shoulder Recipes, Grilled Shrimp Recipes, Pork Loin Recipes, Pork Roast Recipes