Sweet-and-Sour Thai Fish Soup
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 4 shallots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, plus 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste, softened with 2 tablespoons water, (use 1 tablespoon lime juice if tamarind paste is not available)
- 1 anchovy fillet
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 3 cups clam juice
- 1 to 2 pounds white fish fillets (cod, halibut, or snapper), skinned and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup snow peas
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1/2 small cucumber, peeled, trimmed, seeded, and cut into thin julienne strips
In a large pot of salted, boiling water, cook rice until tender. Drain, set aside, and keep warm.
In a soup pot, combine puree, cayenne, fish sauce, and clam juice and bring to a boil. Add fish and let simmer for 5 minutes. Add rice and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove soup from the heat and stir in lettuce, radishes, and snow peas. Ladle soup into bowls and serve sprinkled with scallions, cilantro leaves, and cucumber.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.