Sweet Potato Gratin
- 1 tablespoon butter, plus 6 tablespoons, chilled and cut into small cubes
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger or 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and white pepper
- 1 (12-ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/8-inch pieces
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Use one tablespoon of butter to grease a 9 by 13-inch baking or gratin dish. Mix together orange juice, brown sugar, and spices, then add pineapple. Layer slices of sweet potatoes in the dish, then dot with butter. Top with pineapple mixture. Season each layer with salt and pepper. Repeat this process until all sweet potatoes are used up, ending with pineapple mixture.
Bake in oven for 40 to 45 minutes until sweet potatoes are tender when a pairing knife is inserted. Baste gratin with excess juices every 10 minutes. The top should be bubbly and brown. If the top gets too brown or starts to burn, cover with aluminum foil and continue cooking until sweet potatoes are done.
Recipe courtesy Tanya Holland