Tomato Gorgonzola Soup
Recipe courtesy Saks Cafe & Restaurant, Anchorage, AK for Food Network Magazine
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) cognac
- 1 1/2 pounds red-skinned potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 35 -ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed, juices reserved
- 2 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 2/3 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese, plus more for garnish
- 2/3 cup fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
Melt the butter in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the flour and cook until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Add the cognac and scrape the pan with a wooden spoon to release any browned bits.
Add the potatoes and broth to the stockpot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and their juices, cream, gorgonzola and basil. Season with salt and pepper. Using an immersion blender, or in batches in a blender, puree until smooth. Add the vinegar and serve in warm bowls with more basil and gorgonzola.
Photograph by Yunhee Kim
Thank you! your flag was submitted.