Turkey Meatballs with Spaghetti Squash in Tomato Sauce
- 2 pounds spaghetti squash
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- One 16-ounce can San Marzano diced tomatoes
- One 16-ounce can San Marzano tomato sauce
- 2 pounds ground turkey meat
- 1 loaf Italian bread, chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 bunch fresh basil, large stems removed, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- Vegetable oil, for frying
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Halve the squash lengthwise and remove the seeds. Place on a baking sheet, cut-side up. Roast the squash until softened, 30 to 40 minutes depending on size.
In a large bowl, combine the turkey, bread, milk, Parmesan, basil and parsley and mix well. Form into 2-inch meatballs.
Heat a few tablespoons of vegetable oil in a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Pan-fry the meatballs until browned on all sides. Cook in batches if needed. Transfer the meatballs to the tomato sauce and simmer until cooked through.
Using a fork, remove the squash flesh from the skin and stir the squash into the tomato sauce. Serve the squash topped with meatballs.
This recipe was created by a contestant during a cooking competition. The Food Network Kitchens have not tested it for home use, therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of Michelle Ragussis
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen