Grilled Plantains with Mojo
- 1/4 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano leaves or 1 teaspoon dried, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
- 4 green plantains
Toast the cumin seeds in a small skillet over high heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Grind the seeds in a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle.
Heat the olive oil and garlic along with the toasted cumin over medium-high heat and cook until garlic begins to sizzle, about 2 minutes. Put in a non-reactive bowl and stir in lime juice, oregano, salt, pepper, and jalapeno.
Preheat stove top or outdoor grill to high heat. Cut plantains in half lengthwise and brush lightly with olive oil. Place on grill, skin-side down, and cook until soft about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and serve with the mojo sauce.
Copyright 2004 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.