1. Grease 4 (1-cup) size ramekins with nonstick spray to evenly coat the insides.
2. Begin by adding milk, cream and sugar to a pot and set over medium heat. Add vanilla bean and seeds and 4 strips of lemon peel (try not to get any of the white pith). Bring to a simmer. Once the mixture begins to bubble, turn off the heat.
3. While the mixture is heating, combine the gelatin and lemon juice, whisking as you go to avoid lumps. Temper the gelatin with about 1/2 cup of the heated milk/cream mixture and whisk back into the remaining mixture. Strain cream mixture using a fine mesh strainer, into a bowl and discard the vanilla pod and lemon peel. Add the creme fraiche and gently whisk to combine the mixture. Distribute evenly among the ramekins and place in the refrigerator for 4 to 6 hours or until they are set.
4. In a small saucepan reduce balsamic vinegar over low heat until slightly syrupy 5 to 7 minutes. Add sugar and stir until dissolved.
5. Remove the ramekins from the refrigerator and top with quartered strawberries. Drizzle the tops with the balsamic syrup and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Tyler Florence, 2008