Warm Saffron Potatoes with Serrano Ham and Sweet Peas
- 2 cups good quality mayonnaise
- Pinch saffron threads, steeped in 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 pounds baking potatoes, like russets, peeled and cubed
- Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, diced
- 1 red chile, diced
- 1 cup chopped Serrano ham
- 1 cup sweet peas, frozen and thawed
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
Combine mayonnaise, saffron liquid and lemon juice thoroughly in a food processor; season, to taste, with salt and pepper. The mayonnaise will turn a beautiful yellow color and should be somewhat thin to combine smoothly with the potato mixture.
Cook the potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water until fork tender, about 30 minutes. Drain potatoes well in a colander. Heat oil in a skillet until almost smoking. Saute the onion and chiles. Add the potatoes and fry until the edges are crispy and brown. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Add ham, and peas and parsley; toss lightly to combine.
Gently fold the saffron mayonnaise into the potato salad, taking care not to break up the cubes.
2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All Rights Reserved
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse