- 1 (7-ounce) can chipotle peppers (including adobo sauce)
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 2 pounds chicken tenders
- 1 cup masa
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- Canola oil, for frying
- Cool Cucumber Slaw, recipe follows
- Cilantro sprigs
- Cucumber wedges
Combine the masa, panko, salt and pepper in a large zip top plastic bag. Drain chicken pieces; add to masa mixture, 1 at a time, and shake to coat. Shake off excess; place on waxed paper for 15 minutes before frying.
Heat 4 inches of oil to 375 degrees F in a large cast iron skillet.
Fry chicken for about 4 minutes on each side or until browned on all sides. Remove chicken from skillet and place on a paper towel lined platter. Once well drained, keep chicken warm on a wire rack over a baking sheet in a oven preheated to 300 degrees F.
Serve chicken on a large platter with Cool Cucumber Slaw. Garnish with Cilantro and cucumber wedges.
Cool Cucumber Slaw:
- 2 Armenian or English cucumbers, coarsely shredded
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon\s chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 small carrot, finely shredded
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
Stir together the cucumber and salt. Place in a colander over a mixing bowl. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Discard liquid and place cucumber in mixing bowl. Add yogurt, lime juice, mint, cilantro, carrot, scallion and sugar to the cucumber. Mix until well combined. Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours, preferably overnight.
Yield: 6 servings