Recipe Courtesy of Mina Newman, Executuve Chef, Layla Restaurant
- Total Time:
- 55 min
- 30 min
- 25 min
- 6 servings
- 2 green zucchini, sliced on bias
- 2 yellow squash, sliced on bias
- 2 eggplants, sliced on bias
- 1 pound spinach, cleaned and Sauteed in garlic and olive oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound couscous, steamed with tomato juice and 1 teaspoon ground cumin and 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 pound melted butter
- Filo dough sheets
- Powdered sugar
- Ground cinnamon
6 ramekins (4-inch diameter by 3-inch depth) or 9 to 10-inch deep dish pie pan.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Season all the vegetables with salt and pepper and grill, keeping them separate. Cook the couscous separately, as instructed, and reserve in a ceramic mold. In the ramekins or pie pan, place 2 sheets of filo, buttering between layers. Begin to layer all vegetables, ending with the couscous. In between each layer add pressure in order to mold. Fold flaps of filo over to seal. Seal with butter, turn out onto a sheet pan, and brush top with butter. Bake for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and ground cinnamon. If using a pie pan, cut into wedges and serve.