Vegetable Rice Salads with Beans
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin oil
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, diced
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups canned chickpeas
- Chopped dill, for garnish
- Chopped parsley, for garnish
- 1 bunch arugula salad, tough stems removed
In a 2-quart saucepan bring salted water to a boil and add rice and boil, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until cooked, about 25 minutes. Drain rice in a colander and rinse under cold running water until cool. Drain rice well.
In a saucepan of boiling salted water, blanch beans and carrots for 1 or 2 minutes, drain in a sieve and shock in ice bath. Drain vegetables well.
In a large bowl whisk together lemon juice, mustard, salt, and pepper. Add oil in a stream and whisk until emulsified. Add rice, blanched vegetables, celery, bell pepper, scallions, and chickpeas, toss well and adjust seasoning. Add dill and parsley. Serve on bed of arugula.
Recipe courtesy Food Network