- ¼ cup (50 g) wheat berries or ½ cup (60 g) whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup (28 g) wheat germ
- ½ cup (70 g) raw almonds
- 1 cup (155 g) rolled oats
- 1 medium to large apple, seeded, cubed or 1 1/8 cups (210 g) unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) honey or agave nectar
- ½ cup (60 g) dried cranberries or cherries
1. Place wheat berries, wheat germ, almonds, and oats into the Vitamix Dry Grains container and secure lid.
2. Select Variable 1.
3. Turn machine on and slowly increase to speed to Variable 10, then to High.
4. Blend for 30 seconds. Turn machine off. Pour out into bowl.
5. Place apple into the Vitamix Dry Grains container and secure lid.
6. Select Variable 1.
7. Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
8. Use the tamper to press the apple into the blades.
9. Blend for 35-40 seconds or until consistency of applesauce.
10. Pour into bowl with dry ingredients. Add salt, cinnamon, vanilla, honey, and cranberries to mixture.
11. Mix gently by hand to combine. Spread into greased 8-inch x 8-inch (20cm x 20cm) pan.
12. Bake for 25 minutes in a 350°F (180°C) oven.
If using wheat berries, blend for 45-60 seconds in step 4.
This recipe has been written for the Vitamix 5200 with Standard 64-ounce container. If you are using a different Vitamix machine or container size, you may need to make adjustments to the Variable Speed, processing time, and/or ingredient quantities.
Dietary Interest: vegetarian, low cholesterol, low sodium, vegan