Winter Squash and Apple Hash
- 1 butternut squash (or substitute any winter squash, like acorn, enough to equal about 3 cups)
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 8 ounces Rosemary Sausage, recipe follows
- 1 Granny Smith apple, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
- Eggs, cooked to order, for serving
- Cranberry-Ginger Chutney, to garnish, recipe follows
- Rosemary Sausage:
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage, or 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- Cranberry-Ginger Chutney:
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Peel, seed, and chop the squash. Distribute evenly on a baking pan and drizzle lightly with oil. Bake until soft to the touch, about 20 minutes. Remove and cool.
Cook the Rosemary Sausage in a lightly oiled pan over medium heat, stirring often, until browned. Add the apples, onions and peppers. Cook, stirring regularly, for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the squash. Saute until the squash is lightly browned, 1 to 2 more minutes.
Cook eggs separately as desired.Rosemary Sausage:
Mix the pork with the fennel, garlic, sage, salt, pepper and rosemary well by hand.Cranberry-Ginger Chutney:
In a medium pot, boil the cranberries and 1 cup water until the berries start to pop, 5 to 7 minutes. Simmer on medium-low heat for 10 minutes. Add the sugar, garlic, ginger, lemon zest and salt, and simmer for another 20 minutes.
This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and may have been scaled down from a bulk recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Butternut Squash, Apple, and Onion Galette with Stilton, Apple Butternut Squash Soup, Butternut Squash, Apple and Onion Galette with Stilton, Squash, Butternut Squash Risotto Recipes, Cinnamon Roll Recipes, Apple Fritter Recipes, Apple Cake Recipes, Butternut Squash Soup Recipes