Best 5 Recipes for Spring
Tomorrow marks the first day of spring, and just as you may be getting ready to transition your wardrobe from heavy snow coats to light jackets, so, too, are you likely longing for a change in everyday meals. Gone are the cravings for warming stews and comforting casseroles; it's all about bright, fresh flavors that make the most out of this brand-new time of year. Check out Food Network's top-five recipes for the season below, and celebrate the first days of spring with an abundance of crisp vegetables and juicy fruits of all colors.
5. Roast Chicken with Spring Vegetables — With this all-in-one supper of juicy chicken, hearty potatoes, and colorful carrots and radishes, you no longer have to prepare separate protein, starch and vegetable components to offer a complete meal.
4. Green Salad with Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette — Consider Rachael's fuss-free recipe the ultimate go-to salad, as it requires just a few minutes to assemble the lettuce with fresh berries and a tangy dressing.
3. Spring Peas with Dates and Walnuts — Ready to round out any main dish in a hurry, Food Network Magazine's vibrant side celebrates three types of in-season peas — English, snap and snow — and features crunchy nuts and chewy dried fruit for extra texture and flavor.
2. Strawberry-Rhubarb Crisp — Rhubarb is notoriously bitter, so it's best to pair it with a naturally sweet fruit, like strawberries, to balance the flavor. Anne's party-worthy dessert is finished with a buttery oat crumble before baking.
1. Primavera with Prosciutto, Asparagus and Carrots — Primavera means "spring" in Italian, and Ted Allen's colorful pasta (pictured above) from Food Network Magazine is surely an indulgent celebration of the season. In 35 minutes, he combines asparagus, carrots and peas, plus penne noodles, in a creamy garlic sauce with crispy prosciutto for a hearty supper.