Smoky Shrimp Slaw
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 1/4 head white cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1/4 head purple cabbage, cored and shredded
- 3 celery stalks, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 pounds shrimp (21 to 25) peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Arrange the bacon strips on top of a grill rack on a baking sheet. Bake until crispy, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and reserve.
In a large bowl, add the cabbages, celery, green onion and parsley. Toss together and set aside.
In a medium bowl, add the olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, the smoked paprika and the shrimp.
In a large saute pan over medium-high heat, add the shrimp. Saute, tossing frequently, until the shrimp are cooked through, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
In a blender, add the mayonnaise, sour cream, olive oil, cider vinegar, mustard, cayenne, salt, pepper and garlic and blend together until smooth. Add the mixture to the bowl with the cabbage. Stir in the crumbled bacon and the shrimp and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Aaron McCargo Jr.