- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups cooked and cooled barley
- 1 small head fennel, julienned
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup cooked and crumbled bacon, approximately 4 slices
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice and a pinch of kosher salt. Add the olive oil and whisk to combine. Set aside.
Combine the barley, fennel, pine nuts, Parmesan, bacon and parsley in a large mixing bowl. Add the dressing and stir to combine. Season, to taste, with the salt and pepper. Serve immediately or allow to sit in the refrigerator for up to 1 hour.
Per Serving (based on a 6-serving yield): Calories: 272; Total Fat: 13 grams; Saturated Fat: 3 grams; Protein: 8 grams; Total carbohydrates: 32 grams; Sugar: 1 gram; Fiber: 5 grams; Cholesterol: 7 milligrams; Sodium: 334 milligrams